No matter how much preparation organisations undertook in the years, or months, prior to GDPR, it‘s clear many didn’t win when it came to their marketable customer base.
Whilst research predicted that some organisations could lose up to 75% of their marketable database, our conversations have indicated that, in many cases, this could be considerably more.
There has always been strict criteria for handling and storing personal data but GDPR reinforced this importance. We chatted with staff from the ICO last year and they very firmly stated that you cannot contact anyone if you cannot prove:
- they were already a customer or prospect
- how you obtained their data (particularly if it’s data you need to contact the individual)
- that the data held is accurate
- for which purpose you collected the data
- that there was any [direct] relationship with the individual.